I’m an 80’s kids. When I say 80’s, my early teens, the time I was slowly realising the world around me was during this era. Every generation has a style, trend, and fad that makes it notoriously known for that period. So if you were like me, who grew up in the 80’s you could probably relate or remember a few of these things:
1. You read a lot. Book series like Baby-sitter’s Club, Sweet Valley High or Choose your Own Adventure or books written by authors like Ronald Dahl and Paul Jennings.
2. You still remember using 1c and 2c coins to pay for lollies and food from the local store or canteen in school.
3. You read books thanks to the Book It campaign, but really you just wanted free pizza.
4. You learnt how to jump double dutch thanks to the Jump Rope for Heart program.
5. You woke up early on Saturday mornings to watch Rage, which showed the video clips of the top songs on the radio.
6. Your fashion dress sense consisted of rolled up denim pants, fluoro colours, leggings and big hair.
7. You watched Agro’s Cartoon Connection before school every day.
8. You ate approximately 1054 packets of chips so you complete your Tazo collection.
9. Sydney’s only theme park Australia’s Wonderland existed.
10. Maccas parties were the best birthday parties because of the ice cream cake they always served.
11. Afternoon tv consisted of Super Ted, Gumby, Around the Twist, and Babar.
12. You knew the name to every marble and their weight in value.
13. All the girls wanted a Cabbage Patch Kid doll and all the boys wanted a He-Man Master of the Universe figurine.
14. You watched television shows like Punky Brewster, Full House, Alf and Young Talent Time.
15. You saw movies like Labyrinth, The Goonies and Wizard of Oz and freaked you the hell out. Although they’re famous “classics” now, the feeling of fear still haunts you as an adult today.
Is there anything you want to add that vividly remember about growing up in the 80’s?